Ingredients for the Ricotta Gnocchi
- 400 g ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup flour (plus more for kneading)
Ingredients for the Spicy Marinara Sauce
- 800 g canned whole tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 Fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the ricotta, egg, cheese, and ¾ cup of the flour until all ingredients are incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium heat, sauté onions for 2 minutes and add garlic, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Pour all the contents of the canned whole tomatoes in the sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer. Add the basil leaves whole to flavor the sauce and fish out once done.
- Simmer the marinara sauce for 30 minutes. Sauce should thicken a bit.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Season water with salt once it begins to boil.
- Check the dough, if it is too sticky sprinkle a bit more flour and slightly knead.
- Sprinkle your hands and your table top with some flour and break off golf-ball sized pieces of dough and roll until it is about ¾ in thick logs.
- Cut with a knife ¾ inch pieces, it should look like mini pillows. This point, you can shape using the back of a fork or you can leave it looking rustic.
- Place ricotta gnocchi pieces on a floured baking sheet.
- Drop the gnocchi into the pot of boiling water, you will know when done when it floats onto the surface.
- Top or mix with marinara sauce, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ricotta Gnocchi with Spicy Marinara Sauce
dinner meal, Ricotta Gnocchi
via simple cooking, recipe http://ift.tt/1t6oQ0e